When Power Strips are a NO!

Find that you just don’t have enough electrical outlets to run or charge some of your favorite things in your home?

When we find ourselves in that situation, oftentimes our first response is to grab a power strip to create additional sources of electricity.

But sometimes, it just isn’t a good idea to use those power strips and instead look at upgrading your electrical system to handle the load safely and efficiently.

Here are a few things NOT to plug into a power strip:

Large appliances. Large appliances such as refrigerators and those extra freezers can and will easily overload a power strip. They should be plugged directly into the wall. But, remember, if you use the same outlet for an additional appliance, you may risk tripping the circuit. Another appliance that should a dedicated outlet is a microwave because it also takes more energy than a power strip can muster.

Smaller appliances. Yes, even small appliances such as coffee makers, waffle makers, electric skillets, and toasters should not be plugged into a power strip. These appliances take more draw than you may think and can actually cause the power strip to overheat creating more than just a half-brewed pot of coffee. It can create a serious safety issue.

Hair care appliances. Believe it or not, those hair dryers, curling irons, and flat irons take a lot more power than you may think. In fact, you should be plugging these items into a GFCI outlet to avoid water exposure since they are often used in a bathroom and sometimes next to a sink.

Portable heaters and air conditioners. These comfort items draw a lot of current when switched on and can overload the power strip even tripping the circuit breaker or cause overheating. Always plug these directly into an outlet.

It goes without saying that if you have other items you need to plug in such as boats, campers or those outdoor refrigerators, it’s a good idea to have a professional take a look at your electrical capacity to prevent tripping circuit breakers and damage to your electrical system and home.

Just give us a call! We’re here to help!